This guide aims to assist you in creating and utilizing an unsubscribe link in your communications. By including this link in your emails or SMS, you give your contacts the option to unsubscribe. The process involves building an unsubscribe link using a funnel/landing page and trigger link. Follow the steps outlined below for a comprehensive guide.
NOTE: If you are a Mailgun user, certain unsubscribe configurations can be controlled from your Mailgun account directly.
Step 1: Create your Unsubscribe funnel page
- Go to your Funnel and design the page that you want your customers to view when they click on your Unsubscribe link.
- Generate a new step and name it “Unsubscribe”.
- Choose a path name, like “/unsubscribe”, for the Unsubscribe page.
- After creating the page, open it for editing using the Funnel Builder and customize it as desired.
- The page can be customized in various ways using additional text, colors, logos, or other elements, but a simple one-column and row design with a headline stating “You’ve been successfully unsubscribed” is also an option.
- Save the page you’ve created within the Funnel Builder.
- To copy the URL of the Unsubscribe page you have created, click the icon with an arrow pointing to the top right corner, and the URL will be displayed in the browser bar.
- If you want to, you can preview the page by pasting the URL into a new browser tab.
- NOTE: Before proceeding with this step, make sure to go through our tutorials on domain configuration if you have not already done so.
Step 2: Set up the Trigger Link
- To navigate to Trigger Links, click on it and select “Add Link”.
- Then, provide a name for the Trigger Link and paste the URL of the Unsubscribe page.
- Click the save button to confirm and save the changes.
Step 3: Create a Workflow Trigger
- To start creating a new workflow, go to Workflows and select “Create Workflow” then “Start from Scratch”.
- Add a Workflow Trigger by selecting “Trigger Link Clicked”. You will need to specify the filter to the trigger link you created as the Unsubscribe link, so it only triggers the action for that particular link.
- To set the first action, click on the plus sign and choose ‘Set contact DND’ from the available options. Then, select ‘enable contact DND’ from the dropdown menu.
- After completing all the necessary actions in your workflow, save it and then publish it.
- NOTE: It is possible to include more actions in the workflow if desired. For instance, you may choose to add a contact tag indicating that the lead unsubscribed, or a step to remove them from all workflows.
Step 4: Add your Unsubscribe Link to Email or SMS Communication
The Unsubscribe link can be utilized in any communication, including one-off emails or SMS messages, bulk actions, or campaigns.
- To update an email or SMS, go to the editor for that particular message, whether it’s within a Workflow, Trigger, Campaign, or one-off/bulk-action communication.
- Type out the text you want to hyperlink as your unsubscribe link, such as “Click here to Unsubscribe.”
- Highlight the text and select Insert > Edit Link from the menu.
- From the list of links, choose your unsubscribe link. Alternatively, you can include the “Unsubscribe Link” as plain text below your message using the trigger link as-is.
- After adding the unsubscribe link to your email or SMS, save the template if you want to use it again, or simply send it if it is a one-time message.